- Sweet tasting and neither warming nor cooling in effect, aromatic.
- Seeds considered hemostatic.
- Considered antiinflammatory, antipyretic, diuretic, emmenagogue, febrifuge, purgative, rubefacient.
· Decoction of bark is used as purgative, emmenagogue, and febrifuge. Latex is similarly employed.
· Preventive for heat stroke: the material may be taken as a cooling tea.
· Root-bark taken internally as a strong purgative.
· Root-bark used as abortifacient.
· Root bark used as remedy for gonorrhea and venereal sores.
· Bark decoction used as antiherpetic.
· Used in treatment of ulcers, herpes, scabies.
· Bruised bark use as plaster over hard tumors.
· In India , bark used as purgative. Bark also used as application for abscesses.
· In Java and Madera , bark decoction used for gonorrhea, dropsy, and dysuria due to venereal disease.
· In Yucatan , latex is used for toothache.
· In Persia , bark is employed against blenorrhagia.
· For dysentery, diarrhea during summer season: use 12 to 24 gms of dried material in decoction.
· Arthritis, rheumatism, pruritic skin lesions: Mix the latex (sap) with coconut oil, warm, and apply to affected area.
· Decoction of the bark is used as a counterirritant on the gums for toothache.
· The latex mixed with coconut oil is used for itching.
· The juice is rubefacient in rheumatic pains, and with camphor, is also used for itching.
· A poultice of heated leaves is beneficial for swellings.
· Decoction of leaves for cracks and eruptions of the soles of the feet.
· Infusion or extract from leaves is used for asthma. Leaves also used as cigarettes to inhale in asthma.
· In Puerto Rico , in emulsion, the milk produces abundant, bilious, watery stools.
· In Mexico , decoction of flowers used in diabetes.
SUPARTZ is indicated for treatment of pain in osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and simple analgesics, ., acetaminophen. You should not use SUPARTZ if you have infections or skin diseases at the injection site or allergies to poultry products. SUPARTZ is not approved for pregnant or nursing women, or children. Risks can include general knee pain, warmth and redness or pain at the injection site. Full prescribing information can be found here or by contacting customer service at 800-396-4325.